I believe 4511 was constructed in 1911 at the
behest of one O.C. Van Noy. “O.C.” stands for
Orville Clinton. That first tidbit came from a
1911 copy of the Kansas City Contractor’
Almanac. The estimated construction cost for
4511 Holmes was a hefty (for 1911)
The Van Noy family was one of the wealthiest families in Kansas City in the early 1900's. The Van
Noys founded and operated the once famous,
and very successful Van Noy Railway
News and Hotel Company. Orville’s father
was Charles S. Van Noy who, with his brothers, founded a retail and services empire of newsstands, restaurants and hotels that spanned the entirety of the 7,500-mile Missouri Pacific railway system.
After Orville's sale of the home, two other
prominent brothers in Kansas City acquired
4511 in the 1950's. Those two brothers were
Drs. Roy and Walter M. Cross, founders of
Kansas City Testing Laboratories.3 One can
only assume changes were made to the
building by these successful and pioneering
4511 was purchased from Linda T.
Nottberg in 2008. Extensive remodeling was
carried out under her directionwent, presumably, between 1989 and 2009.
Linda’s kitchen is pictured below.
Sooo . . . out went virtually everything in the
interior, save (most) of the exterior walls and a
bit of the flooring. No more formica, no nanny’s
quarters and no garage too shallow for modern
vehicles. So the house was changed a lot on
the inside, at least to our thinking, to reflect
more of the Midwest colonial style of the
What the many owners of 4511, for well over a century, saw and maintained is what also drew Pat and I to it a decade ago.
We added our own backyard water living space!!!
1) New Security Service for Rockhill: A new service has been contracted to patrol the neighborhood - see Residents Page, Blog.
2) Historic Preservation Commission Meeting considering the demolish of the historic home at 4526 Warwick Blvd., THE “GEORGE B. RICHARDS RESIDENCE - see RHA Events Page.
3) Fall 2023 Rockhill Times - see Rockhill Times Page.
4)Jackson County Property Tax Relief for Seniors - see Residents Page, News Blog, for more information.
5) City Legislation passes which will likely affect Cleaver II Blvd, see on Home page below.
6) Info. on City Action on Short Term Rentals on the K